Our purpose is to glorify God by helping people accept and follow Jesus Christ, by loving and serving God while we love and serve others, by learning, obeying, sharing, and teaching the Bible and practical instructions for life, and by living each day with the awareness of the nearness of eternity, using the circumstances and opportunities God gives us to help each other draw closer to Christ and to influence others for Him.
Spiritual maturity is not measured by how many verses you have memorized or how well you can explain what the Bible teaches; rather, it is measured by how deeply you love the Lord and others, and by how well you live the truths of Scripture.
Before becoming a pastor, Terry Green served as a Sergeant in the Marine Corps and later became a business manager. He previously pastored in another community in Arizona and served on the staff of a church and Bible college in Texas. His family came to Victory Baptist Church in 1998. He also serves as an adjunct instructor for International Baptist College & Seminary in Chandler. He loves to be outdoors, especially walking, hiking, and running.
He is happily married to Kathy who teaches our Youth Class and Ladies’ Bible Studies, and serves in our music program as well as volunteering with music departments in nearby schools. She earned a Master’s Degree while raising five kids.
Their kids were active in every aspect of Victory and as adults they continue to love the Lord and to serve Him in their local churches.
Benjamin Green serves as our Ministries Coordinator. He’s a graduate of the University of Arizona and enjoys learning new things. At Victory, he helps Pastor encourage our ministry staff and organize our resources, keeping us focused on our local and world mission efforts, and directing online activities.
Victory is a place for people who love God to build deep relationships with one another, even though we are diverse. We have football fanatics, NASCAR fans and classical musicians. We have grandparents serving with teenagers as they minister to preschoolers. Some of our families include three generations serving together; others are single men and women who serve with them. Some were born in Mexico, others came from Canada and many are from various states across America. God brought us together and made us His family.
As a local assembly of believers who are called the body of Christ, we accept our responsibility to God and to each other.
Because God has called us to work together with Him and with each other, we have accountability teams that serve and lead in many areas of our church, from the Awana Team ministering in our kids clubs to our Ministry Leadership Team overseeing the ministries of our church and our local and world missions.
The greatest commandment is to love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these. (Mark 12:30-31)
- We choose to love God. We value Him both for who He is and what He does. We intentionally strive to please Him every day.
- We love each other. We have a passion to connect with and serve together with our fellow members in this body of Christ.
- We love others as Christ does; even when they are different or disagree with us, we choose to love them. It is Christ’s love which drives our outreach and missions.
- The greatest love that we can show to Christ is to fulfill His commission for His church (Matthew 28:18-20); and the greatest love that we can show to others is to meet their greatest need by sharing the gospel of Christ with the people around us.
- We want our ministries to be anchored in love and truth.
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15)
A wise man will hear, and will increase learning… (Proverbs 1:5)
- Disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ are life-long learners, continually learning more about Him and His Word, and learning how to better live out His will and His purpose in our daily lives. We recognize that no one person has all the answers and that each of us is gifted to be a contributing member of the team as we learn and grow together.
- We emphasize reading, studying, memorizing, teaching, preaching, and applying the Scriptures to our lives because:
- The Bible is the actual Word of the living God, yet a book that we read like a love letter from Him to us. It also provides information and instructions that we need to learn and obey.
- The Holy Spirit uses what we learn in the Bible to transform our lives; the Bible guides our paths to live by God’s values as we prepare for the life to come.
- The commands and principles in the Scripture help us to learn wise and appropriate attitudes and behavior for every relationship and every circumstance of life.
- We want our ministries to be anchored in love and truth.
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)
I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. (John 10:10)
- We intentionally and daily seek to reach and influence people for Christ knowing that every day we live brings us one day closer to eternity.
- We are engaged in the church, on the job, in our homes, and in our relationships, living lives connected to the Lord and to each other.
- When our hearts are stirred by the Holy Spirit or the Holy Scriptures, we respond with appropriate actions, seeking to live what we have learned.
- We invest our lives, our energy, and our finances in the work of the Lord in this local mission work, in other communities, and on other continents.
- Our personalities and life histories are different, but our passion is the same: to please the Lord; to live for Him, and to influence others for Him.
- The Bible is the standard by which we measure our individual lives and our church. We want our lives to be anchored in love and truth.